Our Book Talks program invites an author, a translator, or an avid reader to talk about a book and facilitate discussions.
Join us for a thought-provoking evening with author Sheila White exploring The Letters, a novel based on the true story of her parents’ mixed marriage in Toronto in 1947 at a time when racist attitudes tried to keep Blacks and whites apart!
- Date: Saturday, December 2nd, 2023
⏰ Time: 7:30 – 9 pm (EST)
- Venue: 1585 Yonge Street, Yorkminster Park Baptist Church
(use the Toronto School for Strings and Piano entrance)
Free parking, close to the subway station.
Click here to RSVP if you wish to come in person: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdCsXqBOGRnbtc7tnG2ulatuQEL5IIHlTIVCowcDuJ8uYj7_g/viewform?usp=sf_link
Door opens at 7 pm
Light snacks will be provided. You are encouraged to bring your own water bottle to help reduce disposable wastes.
- Click here to register for Zoom meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUvf–srz8iE9NUcdp_Gf_5wvpZRDVttbOo
(Zoom opens 15 minutes before the event.
- Engaging in dialogue with author Sheila White
- Learn about early Toronto and interesting history
- Q&A Session: Your Chance to Ask Questions
- Free Admission
- Translation transcriptions of other languages available on Zoom
- Sheila’s book will be available for purchase
About the Author
Scarborough-born communicator Sheila White is an award-winning community champion, who is a Lay Chaplain and Music Director for Don Heights Unitarian Congregation and President of Words Media and Communications Inc. Reach her at www.sheilawhiteseminars.com.
About the Book
“The Letters: Postmark Prejudice in Black and White” unveils a captivating story transcending deeply rooted taboos. Vivian Keeler, an intelligent and determined white woman from a traditional Nova Scotia family, risks everything for love with Billy White, a charismatic member of a prominent Black minister’s family in Halifax. Vivian’s mother organizes a letter-writing campaign aimed at stopping Vivian from marrying a man not of her race. For more info and to buy the book, visit Yorkland Publishing‘s website, www.yorklandpublishing.com.
For inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Spread the Word!
Please share this event with friends and book enthusiasts. Let’s celebrate Sheila White’s literary debut and the powerful narrative of “The Letters.”
- Please consider supporting us by volunteering, donating or participating in
our endeavor to help people of different heritages break cultural barriers and
get connected. Together, let’s make learning and connections happen!