The East and West Learning Club is a not-for-profit, grass-root group that provides interesting and meaningful learning opportunities to immigrant families with a focus on social skills and cultural knowledge. Our goal is for this club to be enjoyed by everyone in our community, so all club meetings are free of charge. Occasionally there may be an optional field trip or special class which may require a small fee. We meet every Thursday evening unless it’s a public holiday or school break.
SCHEDULE April 2019
April 4 Regular Club Meeting
April 11 Regular Club Meeting
April 18 EAWLC Workshop on Public Speech Skills
April 25 The East&West Dialogue
6:30 – 7:00 PM Meals & social
7:00 – 8:30 PM Sessions run
Venue: Iroquois Junior Public School
265 Chartland Blvd., Scarborough (near Finch & Brimley; free parking lot at the west side of the school building)
Cost: All events are free, including simple meals.
Language used: English
Please RSVP as soon as possible, and by the midnight of the day prior to the event at: email@example.com. Thanks!
@Regular Club Meetings:
- Each participant will have a 1 to 2 minute presentation, sharing anything happened in his/her life, or a thought/idea etc. Then take 3 questions from other members.
- We will watch a video clip on etiquette and communication skills, and share our own experience.
- We will pick a current topic to discuss, encouraging all participants to voice their opinions in a clear, polite, and constructive way. Please feel free to send your suggestion on topics. Once you RSVP’ed, we will send you the topic of the week. Here are a few examples that we discussed in the past:
* Ontario Premier Doug Ford threatened to invoke the constitutional notwithstanding clause to override Judge Belobaba ‘s decision that prevented his government from cutting the number of Toronto city Councillors from 47 to 25. Is the Premier working hard to cut bureaucracy, and push for a more efficient government? Or is he irresponsibly free-willed to interfere with the municipal election, and set a dangerous precedence against the judicial system which is the core of our democracy?
* What is one change you wish most that your parent(s) could have made?
* What do you think of the heated competition between YouTuber Pewdiepie and T-Series, currently the most subscribed YouTube channels? Would you make effort to help one of them win over the other? Why or why not?
From time to time, we will invite experts in various fields to facilitate workshops to enhance some specific skills or knowledge of members. We will have two Toastmasters Club regional leads to facilitate a workshop on public speech skills. For details, please check our Event page often to see announcements. An announcement is usually posted a week ahead of the workshop to give facilitator’s profile and other details.
@The East&West Dialogue
This is our monthly special event! Come to have a dialogue with guest speakers from different cultural backgrounds and with lots of experience and expertise. We hope through this communication we can develop a deeper understanding of Canadian society, how other people are thinking and living, and how we can adapt ourselves to our new country better.
This month our guest speakers will be Mr. Michael Warren and Mr. Alfred Ng. For details, please check our Event page often to see announcements. An announcement is usually posted a week ahead of the Dialogue, giving guest speakers’ profiles and major topics they will present.
Everybody is welcome, no matter whether you are a student, a professional or a homemaker. Let’s meet, learn, and have friendships and fun!